Select Player problem

You can post here general questions about Advene in english.

Select Player problem

Post by Dave Thompson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:46 am

:? Hi,

Somehow I made the player come up as dummy by default and cannot figure out how to reset it to VLC. Can someone help? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but that did not help. :

Thanks
Dave Thompson

Re: Select Player problem

Post by oaubert » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:55 pm

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid (you) can't do that".
Sorry for the joke, I just couldn't resist.

More seriously, you can select another player from the Player menu, "Select player" submenu. Another possibility is to start Advene from a command line with the "-pvlcnative" option.

Olivier
oaubert
Site Admin

Post by Dave Thompson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 am

Hi,
:?: Thanks for the reply. I knew that I could select the VLC palyer from the submenu, but do I have to do that each time I start Advene? Can't I set the VLC player as the default player? I thought that is how it worked when I first installed Advene. I think I did something to change the default so that it comes up on the "Dummy"setting every time I open Advene, and I'd like to get it back to VLC.
Dave
Dave Thompson

Post by oaubert » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:05 am

The selected player (through the menu) is kept as a default, in ulterior Advene sessions. The setting is automatically saved on application exit.
If you keep getting the dummy player, it may be because of an initialisation issue with VLC (Advene first tries vlc, and falls back on the dummy player in case of a problem). If that is the case, could you send via e-mail the advene.log file which is located in your userprofile directory ?
oaubert
Site Admin

Post by Dave Thompson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 am

Oaubert,

:D Thanks for your replay; it helped me find and fix the problem. I looked for the Advene.log file you mentioned above and found it, but it had a file size of 0K. So, I figured that it was an empty file and of no use. But while in the directory with the Advene.log file, I saw a file named "Player.prefs," and decided to change the name of the file to "xPlayer.prefs" to see if Advene would create a new one...and it did. Now the VLC player comes up as the default. Somehow I must have changed the "Player.prefs" file inadvertantly and even doing an uninstall did not remove the changed file.

Thanks again...I would not have figured this out without your help.

Dave Thompson
Dave Thompson

Post by oaubert » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:44 am

Hello

Good to know that your problem is solved. FYI, the advene.prefs file contains the various Advene settings (those set through the Edit/Preferences menu, and also some other ones like the recent-file history, etc) and is saved automatically when editing preferences and exiting Advene. It is not removed upon Advene de/reinstallation in order to preserve settings, but maybe we should add an checkbox offering to remove it upon Advene deinstall.
oaubert
Site Admin

Return to English questions