Unable to access overlapping items in timeline

You can post here general questions about Advene in english.

Unable to access overlapping items in timeline

Post by mapto » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:29 am

Hello,

Thanks for a great product.

I currently have the following problem. I have annotated a video and have overlapping annotations from the same type (on the same channel). I am currently trying to remove the overlaps. One way I have approached this is cutting both annotations ("Split at current player position") and deleting the redundant parts. This works perfectly fine when I do it for the annotation that I want to end at the player position. It puts the earlier, in terms of timestamp, part at the bottom of the visual stack and the later on the top, so I can access and delete it. However, when I want to do the same for the other annotation (which sometimes starts earlier than the actual event in the video), the earlier part hides under the other annotation and I cannot access it in order to delete it.

Removing from the transcription window and then clicking the "Apply the modifications" icon in the transcriptions doesn't remove the even (it's id) appears in the transcription window and probably it remains in the timeline.

I'd also want to ask if there is a fast (e.g. with shortcuts) way to split annotations at player position?

Thanks, Martin
mapto

Re: Unable to access overlapping items in timeline

Post by oaubert » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Hello

We are aware that our decision to allow overlapping annotations (other similar software often prevent it) causes such issues, and we try to imagine things to improve the timeline visualisation for them. In the meantime, you are on the right track when you try to adjust overlapping annotations from another view. The transcription view is however maybe not the best for this. I usually use the table visualisation : drag and drop an annotation type into a view zone, and select "Use annotation type ... in a table". You can then right click on the annotation and delete it. The tree view or the finder view can also be used in the same way.

The shortcut for splitting an annotation at the current player time is Control+Return in the timeline. It is mentioned in the shortcut page, but could maybe be better presented. If you have suggestions for improving this, please do.
oaubert
Site Admin

Re: Unable to access overlapping items in timeline

Post by mapto » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 am

Hello, sorry for the late response. Your response was very fast and I do appreciate that. Both of your answers were very helpful, thank you!

And if you need a user opinion about overlapping annotations, I do agree with your decision, as for example for annotation of non-verbal communication in conversation it is quite useful. Having said this, I am still not used to manipulating such overlaps and I don't have an opinion how practical is your realization of this otherwise meaningful feature.

Once again, thank you!
mapto

Return to English questions