Importers, in particular Praat

You can post here general questions about Advene in english.

Importers, in particular Praat

Post by wjarek » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm totally new to Advene (but have used ELAN before). I'm on Windows 7, and Advene seems to work OK in general. However, I seem to have a problem with importing text files. The importer window lets me select a file and a specific importer; however, the "Start" button remains greyed out. The formats I've tried are Praat (I have a collection of Praat TextGrids that I would like to use in Advene), plain text, and SRT. The behaviour is the same for all three.
What is the correct procedure for this?
Thank you in advance,
Jarek
wjarek

Re: Importers, in particular Praat

Post by oaubert » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:29 am

Hello

you have found a bug in the windows version. I will not go into details, but it has to do with the naming conventions in windows (using \ as separator and drive letters such as c:). We will issue a fixed version soon, but in the meantime, here is a workaround:

- open the importer dialog
- select the file to import
- in the Advene menu, select "View/Evaluator" (second to last item)
- in the Evaluator window, enter the following statement in the Expression editor:
Code: Select all
importerview.filename=importerview.fb.get_filename()

and execute it (Control-Return or the execution icon)
- then enter and execute (same process as above) the expression
Code: Select all
importerview.update_importers()

The Launch button will be activated, and the appropriate filter should be selected.
oaubert
Site Admin

Post by wjarek » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 am

Thank you very much! I'll give it a go.
wjarek

Post by oaubert » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:28 pm

A new windows installer (1.0.1) is now available, that fixes this bug.
oaubert
Site Admin

Post by wjarek » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for such speedy reaction during such a slow time of the year. Much appreciated; I'm impressed.

I've now had time to test the new release and it does work indeed with text and srt files. However, Praat import still seems to be a problem. I've tried with some of my TextGrids, and they won't import.

(1) It doesn't matter how many annotation tiers there are; even with only one, the import doesn't seem to work.
(2) I've also tried all the formats that Praat uses for TextGrids (text file, short text file and chronological file. No luck.
(3) In the import window, the Start button is normal, and seems to work normally. But as soon as I press it, I get a pop-up saying "No annotation type; No package; No relation..." etc.

What am I doing wrong? Is some specific TextGrid "format" required?

(BTW, this isn't a huge problem, since I can convert the annotations using a script within Praat; but it would help if the import worked "out of the box"...)

Anyway, thank you once more.

Jarek
wjarek

Post by oaubert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

The PRAAT import only handles text PRAAT format, and may not be solid enough to deal with some features. Could you send me some sample files so that I can test and improve the import filter (or write a new one if needed)?
oaubert
Site Admin

Post by wjarek » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks. But it seems I can't attach any files to the post. Should I send them by email?
wjarek

Post by oaubert » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Yes, send them to olivier.aubert -at- liris.cnrs.fr
oaubert
Site Admin

Return to English questions