Advene won't run under Mac OSX 10.8.1

You can post here general questions about Advene in english.

Advene won't run under Mac OSX 10.8.1

Post by Dave Thompson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Hello,

When I try to run Advene 1.0.1 on my iMac running OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion), I get a message "Advene Error" and a tab that says "Visit the MacPython Website. I don't understand whether Advene is distributing Phython or Apple is. And I don't know what Phyton has to do with Advene. Anyway, I tried updating Python to version 2.7.3 and that did not help...I still get the same message when I try to run Advene.

I'm running Parallels on the Mac and Advene works okay under Parallels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave Thompson
Dave Thompson

Re: Advene won't run under Mac OSX 10.8.1

Post by oaubert » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Hello Dave

Advene is implemented in python. The Advene binary installer on MacOS X bundles its own version of python, so you should not have to upgrade the system version.

Are there any other messages than "Advene error" ? With only this information, I cannot say much. Maybe you can copy the contents of the Library/Preferences/Advene/advene.log file that contains more information too.
oaubert
Site Admin

Post by Dave Thompson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your reply. Here is a log that I found at ~/Library/Preferences/Advene/advene.log

Advene v. 1.0 release 20111220 (svn 7523) run at 13/09/12 07:37:08 PDT on darwin
Seemingly running from a .app bundle
Overriding 'resources', 'locale', 'advene' and 'web' config paths
Setting GTK_PATH to /Applications/Advene.app/Contents/Resources
Relocating pangorc
Relocating pango.modules
Relocating gdk-pixbuf.loaders
/Applications/Advene.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
Using localedir /Applications/Advene.app/Contents/Resources/locale
Cannot load Image module. Image conversion is disabled.
Using gstreamer to play sounds
ctypes RSVG support
/Applications/Advene.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/advene/gui/main.py:233: GtkWarning: gdk_cursor_new_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Advene.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 163, in <module>
_run('advene_gui.py')
File "/Applications/Advene.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 160, in _run
execfile(path, globals(), globals())
File "/Applications/Advene.app/Contents/Resources/advene_gui.py", line 214, in <module>
gui = advene.gui.main.AdveneGUI()
File "lib/advene//gui/main.py", line 233, in __init__
RuntimeError: could not create GdkCursor object

Dave
Dave Thompson

Post by oaubert » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 am

The error message seems to indicate that the X11 server is not running. It should be launched automatically by the OS when running Advene. However, I found out that Apple ceased to ship the X11 server with the OS (which was included as a default install since Leopard):
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/17/app ... e-xquartz/

The official advice is to install the open-source XQuartz component that provides the X11 server:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293

Let me know if it solves your problem, so that I can properly update the install instructions for MacOS.
oaubert
Site Admin

Post by Dave Thompson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Oliver,

That fixed the problem. After I installed X11 from your link, I had to logout and log back in to start the X11 server. Now Advene works okay.

Thank you so much.

Dave
Dave Thompson

Return to English questions